At Jimmie Davis Animal Hospital in Bossier City, LA, we understand that your pet having a skin disorder can be scary. Fortunately, our veterinarian team, Dr. Meier and Dr. Hable, are here to help. Below is what you need to know about skin disorders in pets, and how our team can help your pet find relief from their itchy, scaly skin.
What Causes Skin Disorders in Pets?
There are many different things that can cause a pet to develop a skin disorder. Some of the most common causes include:
- Parasites: Fleas, ticks, and mites can all cause skin irritation and lead to skin disorders.
- Allergies: Just like people, animals can be allergic to pollen, dust, dander, and certain foods. These allergies can cause itching, redness, and scaling of the skin.
- Hormonal imbalances: Pets with thyroid disorders might have skin problems as a result of their hormonal imbalance.
- Bacteria or fungal infections: Bacterial or fungal infections can cause redness, itching, and hair loss.
- Autoimmune diseases: Autoimmune diseases occur when the body's immune system attacks healthy cells instead of protecting them from infection. Skin disorders can be a symptom of autoimmune diseases in pets.
What Are the Signs of a Skin Disorder in Pets?
The signs of a skin disorder will vary depending on the underlying cause. However, some of the most common signs include:
- Hair loss
- Bald spots
- Hot spots (areas of inflamed skin that are red, irritated, and painful)
What Is the Treatment for Skin Disorders in Pets?
The treatment for a skin disorder will also vary depending on the underlying cause. However, some of the most common treatments include:
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Shampoos and other topical products
- Systemic medication
- Dietary changes
- Surgery (in severe cases)
If your pet is showing any signs of a skin disorder, call us to make an appointment. We will work with you to find the underlying cause of your pet's skin disorder and create a treatment plan that will provide relief from their symptoms.
What to Expect from Our Veterinarian
To start, we will ask you about your pet's medical history and perform a physical examination. We may also recommend that your pet undergoes allergy testing, skin biopsies, blood work, and/or urinalysis to rule out any underlying medical conditions. Once we have diagnosed your pet's skin disorder, we will develop a treatment plan that is tailored to your pet's skin and unique needs.
Help Your Pet Find Relief
Don't wait to get help for your pet's itchy, painful skin. Call us at (318) 742-5353 to make an appointment with our veterinarian team. We will work with you to find the underlying cause of your pet's skin disorder and create a treatment plan that will provide relief from their symptoms. We at Jimmie Davis Animal Hospital in Bossier City, LA, are here to help.